I love Mexican food just as much as the next gal. But, I often hear how unhealthy it is for us. I refuse to think that healthy and Mexican cannot coexist or at least be used in the same sentence. So, I’ve dedicated myself to transforming my passed-down family recipes into healthier versions of the original. Here’s one of my favorites!
- 1 whole rotisserie chicken
- 1 package of white corn tortillas
- 6 avocados
- 3 cups of shredded pepper jack cheese
- 1 package of cherry tomatoes
- 1 jar of your favorite salsa
- Pull juicy chicken meat off.
- Wash and chop cherry tomatoes in half.
- Turn oven on 425 degrees.
- Take a large pot and fill a quarter of it with Extra Virgin Olive Oil.
- Put it on the stove on a high heat.
- Take a roll of paper towels and lay a strip across the counter, with another strip or two on top.
- Take the package of tortillas and individually soak them briefly in the hot pot.
- Allow tortillas to dry on the paper towel strips to get rid of extra oil.
- Once tortillas are dry, take a baking sheet and place it next to the shredded chicken and tortillas for easy access.
- Set one tortilla on the baking sheet, and in the center of the tortilla, run a trail of chicken through the middle extending across to each side. It should appear as one long line.
- Sprinkle some pepper jack cheese along the same chicken trail.
- Roll up the tortilla into a flauta, and stick a toothpick through the middle holding the flauta together.
- Repeat until either the tortillas, cheese, or chicken run out.
- Once complete, set the baking sheet in the oven for a few minutes (for most ovens 15 minutes).
Light Guac Instructions
- While the flautas are cooking, take the avocados, peel them, and put them in a bowl.
- With a large fork, smash the avocados until an even chunkiness is achieved.
- Add the cherry tomatoes, sprinkle in some salsa, and stir.