My husband and I have been avid juicers now for the last 4 years, and the health benefits have been amazing. It’s one thing to feel great, and it’s a whole different thing to actually see the results on our stress tests and yearly physicals—proof that this lifestyle change has had a big impact on our lives. I’m also convinced that juicing helped keep me from getting morning sickness after reading studies about its prevention coupled with cardio. Obviously, I’m no baby-making expert yet, but I do believe that if we all juice for health and not just juice to juice, we’ll see the biggest personal dietary gains.
Today’s little recipe is the perfect example of this; so don’t let its clear appearance fool you. First, let’s talk about cilantro—it’s not just a garnish. This leafy goodness has some powerful properties:
- Antibiotic properties: Dodecenal is found in cilantro and has been tested and shown to be twice as effective as gentamicin, known for killing food-borne bacteria.
- Anti-cancer: Beta-carotene, vitamin C and E, ferulic, caffeic acid, kaempferol, and quercetin are all antioxidants that help lower oxidative stress in carcinogenic (cancer-causing) cells.
- Anti-inflammatory properties: Omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids are building blocks for immunity and are essential for all pregnant women.
- Blood sugar: Cilantro helps stimulate insulin levels and reduces blood sugar.
- Cholesterol lowering ability: Cilantro, when juiced and consumed on a regular basis, can help reduce the amount of damaged fats (lipid peroxides) in cell membranes.
- Eyesight: The high beta-carotene and antioxidants in cilantro make it one of the best herbs, helping to alleviate eye problems while improving eyesight.
- Heavy metal detox: Cilantro is one of the very few herbs that is used as a heavy metal detox agent, to detoxify mercury, aluminum, and lead among others.
- Insomnia: Due to the various phytonutrients, cilantro can help rebalance internal chemicals, while providing a calming effect to nerves, making sleep easier.
If you’re still not convinced about how awesome cilantro is, see what else this simple yet tasty concoction has to offer.
- 10 green apples—great-tasting antioxidant, rich in vitamin C
- 10 cucumbers—wonderful source for hydration that rids the body of toxins
- 1 16-oz bottle of coconut water—super hydrating with more potassium than four bananas
- 1 bunch of cilantro—full of powerful medicinal properties
- Wash apples, cucumbers, and cilantro.
- Core apples and peel cucumbers.
- Toss apples, cucumbers, and cilantro into juicer and activate.
- Stir and add coconut water.