Nothing says summer quite like fresh melons, but that doesn’t mean we have to wait until picnics and barbeques to partake in this fleshy delicacy. Honeydew on a scorching day is more than just a low-calorie, refreshing treat.
This hydrating fruit provides more than half the recommended daily allowance for vitamin C and is rich in iron, B vitamins, and essential nutrients (source). That’s why adding honeydew to our juicing list isn’t only delicious but it’s nutritious too.
Vitamin C’s antioxidant abilities neutralize toxins, boosting the immune system and helping prevent illnesses like cardiovascular disease. But let’s not forget about potassium. Almost everything we rely on—like our muscles, nerves, blood vessels, and heart—requires potassium for normal functioning. Plus, having enough potassium in our daily diet is important for maintaining healthy blood pressure.
Another benefit of honeydew is the amount of vitamin B-6 present. B-6 is needed for enzymes to activate chemical processes like the creation of serotonin (a neurotransmitter that helps balance our mood and sleep). Then there’s fiber. We cannot forget about fiber. Both soluble fiber and insoluble fiber are present in honeydew. Soluble fiber helps lower cholesterol, while insoluble fiber helps prevent constipation and aids in digestion (source). Can you believe that all of these healthy benefits can be found in one little beautiful melon?
Take advantage of the all that the honeydew has to offer and try my Farm Greens juice recipe today.
- 10 green apples—great-tasting antioxidant, rich in vitamin C
- 1 box of spinach—rich in fiber, protein, folate, calcium, and iron, contains many anticancer properties
- 4 honeydew melons—excellent source of vitamin C, B vitamins, potassium, fiber, and essential nutrients
- 1 pinch of ginger—great for gastrointestinal relief
- Wash apples and spinach.
- Core apples.
- Cut off a section of ginger and peel.
- Cut honeydew in sections and remove the seeds and skin.
- Toss ingredients into juicer and activate.
- Stir and serve.