Back in October, I mentioned that I love a good challenge in the kitchen. I also mentioned that one of my favorite challenges is to put a healthy twist on a classic recipe—a recipe makeover, if you will. And this week on The Monday Menu, I’m tackling beef stroganoff.
Trust me when I say, your gluten-free diet doesn’t mean old favorites have to be put on the back burner!
- 1 package of white mushrooms
- 1 bunch of long green onions
- 1 small bunch of parsley
- 2 garlic cloves
- ½ cup of gluten-free brown rice flour
- 2 tbsps unsalted butter
- 2 tbsps Worcestershire sauce
- ½ cup of red wine
- ½ cup olive oil
- ½ cup of sour cream
- 1 cup of heavy cream
- 3 cups of low sodium beef stock
- 1 pound of ground beef
- 1 8-oz package of gluten-free fettuccine noodles (DeBoles is a great brand)
- salt and pepper to taste
- Wash and chop onions and parsley.
- Peel and mince garlic.
- Wash mushrooms and remove stems.
- Fill a large pot ¾ full of water and bring to a boil.
- Add noodles and cook until tender.
- Pour contents into strainer and drain noodles.
- In a large skillet, heat 2 tbsps of olive oil then add mushrooms and cook until softened.
- Season mushrooms with salt and pepper and set aside in a bowl.
- Use the same skillet and add ground beef.
- Once beef begins to brown, season with salt and pepper and slowly add flour until evenly coated.
- Add mushrooms to beef and pour wine into mixture.
- Mix thoroughly and add butter, onion, and garlic.
- Once ingredients are browned, stir in beef stock, Worcestershire sauce, and heavy cream.
- Add some sprinkles of parsley, and season with salt and pepper if needed.
- Serve with fettuccine noodles, and garnish with extra parsley and sour cream.