So it appears as though I’m addicted to individual quiche containers—not to mention gluten-free cuisine. I mean, how can you not love those precious little meals with easy cleanup. And well…gluten-free should just be called bloat-free. As I mentioned before, I don’t have a gluten allergy. I began making gluten-free meals for my mother-in-law, and the first few times, I made both a regular version for us and a gluten-free version for her, but I quickly realized that I preferred the gluten-free option, and no one appreciated this switch more than my stomach. Now, I don’t have to wait twenty-four hours for my wheat pooch to disappear. And today, I decided to combine an old love of mine—New Mexican cuisine—with my two new loves. I hope you enjoy my Gluten-Free Chile Relleno Casserole.
- 1 whole rotisserie chicken (rub olive oil and seasoning, cook 1.5 hours at 425 degrees)
- 8 long green chiles
- 8-oz package of Cotija cheese
- 18 eggs
- 1 cup of gluten-free Organic Brown Rice Flour
- 1 teaspoon of baking powder
- 3 tablespoons of cream of tarter
- 1 bag of shredded pepper jack cheese
- salt to taste
- Preheat broiler.
- Wash chiles.
- Lay chiles on baking sheet close to broiler.
- Broil chiles for five minutes then flip over and broil the other side for five minutes.
- Once the chiles are completely broiled, take baking sheet out and set on cooling rack.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- With a knife, slice Cotija cheese in long thin slices (8 slices, 1 per chile).
- Take rotisserie chicken and shred it.
- After the chiles have cooled, peel the skin off, leaving on the stem ends.
- With a knife, slit the long green chiles lengthwise and rinse out seeds carefully.
- On another baking sheet, lay out chiles and spread open the slit carefully.
- Stuff chiles with Cotija cheese and shredded chicken.
- Place the eight stuffed chiles in individual quiche dishes.
- With a mixer and large mixing bowl, mix together flour, baking powder, cream of tartar, eggs, and salt.
- Pour mixture over chiles in quiche dishes. Leave chile stems exposed, and sprinkle with pepper jack cheese.
- Place Chile Relleno Casseroles on the baking sheet
- Place baking sheet in oven, and bake until the top starts to brown. Make sure that the egg mixture is still soft then bake 30-40 minutes, depending on oven.