In the summertime, you might find me curled up underneath the umbrella, sitting by the pool with a bowl of guacamole or pico de gallo—and yes—not as a side, but as an actual little meal. And when I need a little protein, I’m not afraid to go a bit loco with my pico by adding some ground turkey. Try it for a picnic, bring it to a potluck, or simply pack it away in your mini-cooler for work.
- 2 pounds of ground turkey
- 12 Roma tomatoes
- 3 red onions
- 1 bunch of cilantro
- 2 jalapeños
- 1 Serrano pepper
- 2 lemons
- 1 lime
- sea salt
- Cook ground turkey, add salt to taste, and mix to prevent clumping.
- Once turkey cools down, refrigerate.
- Wash tomatoes, jalapeños, pepper, lemons, and lime.
- Peel red onions.
- Dice tomatoes and onions.
- Finely chop jalapeños and pepper.
- Roughly chop cilantro.
- Squeeze lemons and lime.
- In a small bowl, mix together lemon juice and lime juice.
- In a large bowl, mix together tomatoes, onions, and cilantro.
- Mix thoroughly
- Add salt to taste.
- Once the pico is to your liking, add in jalapeños and pepper until you acquire the right amount of heat.
- Now, pour in some of the lemon-lime juice, and taste; gradually add more until the ideal flavor is achieved.
- Mix in cooled ground turkey, and season accordingly.