Earlier this month we heard from a few of our Mommy Makeover participants and Comeback Circle members on some of their favorite recipes throughout the contest. This week, I thought it’d be fun to share one of my favorite recipes from Monday Menus past. This is a family favorite and really helps on nights when our schedule is jam packed. With soccer season in full swing and football about to start up, I need these quick recipes now more than ever!
In keeping with the healthy theme, I’ve selected something that’s not only healthy, but quick and easy to prepare. Of course, it also tastes great!
Please enjoy this week’s Monday Menu Revisited—Plum Chicken Salad.
I’m such a sucker for salads and pastas, and that’s mainly because I’m always on the go. How do you eat healthy when you’re booked the entire day or you’re always in and out of town? The answers: salads and pastas. For the most part, they consist of fresh and healthy ingredients, and they’re easy to throw together. My husband is a chicken-salad man, and this is one of his favorite meals. It also makes the perfect leftover lunch for the next day.
- 5 cups of cooked chicken (pictured is sautéed minced chicken)
- 4 celery stalks
- 1 red pepper
- 1 small bunch of long green onions
- 1 small can of pitted and sliced black olives
- 2 green apples
- 1 head of romaine lettuce
- 1 cup of honey glazed pecans
- sea salt and pepper
- 10 heaping tbsp of Vegenaise
- 4 heaping tbsp of plum preserves (or any sweet berry will do)
- 4 tsp of fresh lemon juice
- Wash and dice celery, red pepper, onions, and green apples
- Wash, strain, and chop romaine lettuce (then pack away separately)
- Take a rolling pin and crush pecans
- In a larger bowl, mix together chicken, celery, red pepper, green onions, black olives, and green apples.
- Gently stir in dressing (only add what you feel is needed).
- Add sea salt and pepper to taste.
- Do not add the chopped romaine lettuce and crushed pecans until it’s time to serve: adding them just before serving helps keep the salad crisp longer.
- In a medium size bowl, mix together Vegenaise, plum preserves, and lemon juice, until it becomes a smooth sauce.
- Taste, and adjust to your liking.
PS: Be sure to check out each of our Mommy Makeover Contest recipe’s from this month!