Last month, Holly’s Rise And Shine Breakfast Bakes had me craving breakfast for dinner. Only problem is, I don’t want an overwhelmingly high amount of calories that I’m going to have to work off for the next week because Mama wants stuff like French toast, pancakes, or Roscoe’s chicken and waffles. It’s just not worth this one meal. Unless, of course, breakfast is approached in a different way—healthy, yet tasty.
That might sound lame, but being a mom has changed my outlook on so many things. Now, I’m always looking for better, healthier options because I want Darlington growing up already a step ahead when it comes to eating healthy. That’s one half of the equation. “You can’t work off a bad diet,” Marzia always says.
And she’s right. So, I decided to take two of Darlington’s favorite foods, zucchini and blueberries, to whip up a smaller calorie option, chock full of goodness. Needless to say, these little pancakes were a huge it. From our kitchen to yours…
- 4 medium zucchini
- 4 small containers of blueberries
- 4 large farm fresh eggs
- 12-16 tbsp. of corn flour
- Earth Balance Spread
- Maple syrup
- Wash zucchini and blueberries.
- Grate zucchini in a large bowl.
- Steam blueberries until they’re slightly tender.
- Puree blueberries in a blender.
- Whisk in eggs, corn flour, and half of the blueberry puree.
- If the batter is too thin, add more corn flour.
- Heat up a large sauté pan over medium-high heat.
- Melt ½ a tbsp. of Earth Balance Spread on the pan.
- Take about a ½ cup of batter and spread evenly to create a small pancake.
- Flip over once several bubbles appear in the batter on top.
- Place finished pancake on a baking sheet and continue to make pancakes until all the batter is gone.
- Whip together the rest of the blueberry puree and maple syrup and add on top as desired.